The money you spend on getting great photos and videos can be wasted if your client hasn’t taken the proper steps to make sure their house looks its best and is photo-ready. Make it easy for your client by providing a home prep checklist that will make a huge different in the quality of your real estate marketing. You know that great feeling of a clean house? It can really come through in photos and videos too, with the proper prep work.
For Exterior Shoot:
- Remove all vehicles from the driveway and front of the house
- Remove any pets or animals from the property (they can look really weird moving backwards when footage is reversed during the editing process), and stow away pet products
- Turn on ALL the lights like accents, porch, deck, landscaping, driveway, etc.
- Remove loose articles in the yard like children’s toys, rakes, hoses, etc.
- Wipe down outdoor furniture
- Mow the lawn and refresh your landscaping
- Remove construction materials from the yard like tarps, bricks, concrete blocks, wood, etc.
- Clean all windows, especially if you’ve scheduled a sunset shoot
- Hide large items like garbage cans - the garage is usually a good spot
- Tell your neighbors you have a photo shoot happening
For Interior Shoot:
- Clean the house thoroughly - make beds, clear sinks, vacuum, mop, dust, and clean windows
- Turn on ALL the lights like under cabinets, vent hood, general interior, closets, bathrooms, recessed cans, accent, sconces, chandelier, lamps, book shelfs, etc. - the more lighting the better, and replace bulbs that aren’t working
- Open all window blinds
- Put all toilet seats down, hide bathing products, and refresh bathroom towels
- Turn off fans
- Turn off TVs and computer monitors
- Wipe off the countertops and put away loose items like mixers and coffee makers
You can provide this checklist to your client by printing this page or copying it into your own documents. Either way, your client will see that you've thought through all the details and appreciate that you're helping them put their best foot forward.